Thursday, May 31, 2012

May 31st...Ultrasound!

Today Lee and I had our ultrasound appointment.  I'm 18 weeks tomorrow, and we and the kids have been SOOO excited to find out what we're having.

I was inspired by a TV show to make a "gender reveal" cake as our way of telling the kids.  Since I didn't want to wait to tell them, I had to make TWO cakes, one pink and one blue, so we could just cut into the right one when it was time.

Enter the white cake mix, and two round pans...


then I divided the cake mix in half and colored each half! 





Then I decided to make sure *I* didn't get confused at cutting time! 


Just waiting for frosting...!
(Side note:  I bought the new Duncan Hines frosting flavor packets, just to see what they taste like.  We tried Chocolate Marshmallow...Tasted just like regular chocolate to me...but there were some other tasty flavors I'd still like to try!)


Which is which??


Time to cut the cake...Here are the kids, waiting to see...
(Sorry about Michael's foot...What the crazy...?) 


And it's a... 


GIRL!!  :D 



Cheering...And Dancing...Notice that Tory is missing...! 


Oh...THERE he is...Not quite so thrilled about it being a girl.
(I love the look on this boy's face...!) 


All the kids with their "It's a Girl!" cake! 


Daddy's excited, too... 


And a little hungry, too, I guess!  :D 



We are honestly SO thrilled!  It wouldn't have mattered, really, but there is something fun about having my oldest and my youngest be girls.  About having another little girl almost 14 years after I had my first.  I think about the things I will do different...and better!...than I did the first time around.  I've never been a stay-at-home mom of just ONE baby before!  I worked until Tory was 1, and then I did day-care while Spencer and Michael were babies, so there were always at least two...sometimes THREE babies around all day.  

Without this pregnancy, I'd be looking at an upcoming school year where all 5 of my kids would be in school all day, and I'd be moving into a new chapter of keeping myself busy in other ways.  But I think I'd have felt like there were pages missing from this chapter, and I couldn't be happier for a few more years of THIS story!

(Plus, now that I know it's a girl I can start buying all the super cute baby shoes that she doesn't need, but that I might have to have anyway!)

6 comments:

Katy said...

YAY!!! Congrats McAlister Family!! What a lucky girl to be born into your family!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!!!! Soooo happy for you :) I hear ya about the shoes.... Oh dear, it's positively ridiculous how many shoes my 2 year old has :)

MamaBug said...

A very hearty congratulations!! My daughter (12) is our oldest and only girl. She keeps hoping for a baby sister caboose. We shall see...

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Now our girls can play together. I am so excited for you and feel the same way about my caboose baby. She's a miracle for our family.

Beth said...

What a fun way to tell your children the gender of the baby. Baby girl shoes are adorable!

Unknown said...

Wow, that's wonderful! We wanted two boys and two girls and so we tried to trade our third girl to all our friends and neighbors for their boy babies. No Takers :(