Friday, October 28, 2011

Sydney's Fake Birthday!

At midnight tonight, we are leaving for Disneyland!!  Sydney's birthday, as I have already mentioned, is on Wednesday.  She turns 13.  (Apparently, it isn't possible to cancel birthdays.  Who knew?)


Most of the things my big girl wanted were things for her bedroom.  As Lee and I were shopping, we had this fun idea.  Since he and I would both be home while the kids were at school on Friday, we should try to finish up her room while she was gone!  We had already painted, and then we picked up some fun accessories while we were birthday shopping.  Then this morning, we dropped the kids off at school and got to work.  (I wish I had taken before pictures...The difference is pretty staggering.  But we had just painted, and hadn't even moved the furniture back into place.  It was all sitting "hugged" to the middle of the room when she left for school!)


After I picked her up, I told her we needed to go down to her room and gather the stuff she would want to "play" with in the car:  DS, iPod, that kind of stuff.  She had a couple of math pages to do, and some reading for the week we are missing, and I told her that I'd help her gather so she could hurry up and get to work.


The bedding, curtains, canopy, and wall "stickers" she got for Christmas last year, but we bought the shelves, the colored metal work pieces, the dry erase board, the desk, and the blue lamp.


This is the view as you walk in the door...



And looking to the left as you enter...


Then turning around to look back at the door.


Dad was waiting inside to take pictures when she walked in! 





 She kept noticing new stuff.  "A desk!"  "Look...A lamp!"  It was so funny.  She was literally jumping up and down!


This is the new dry erase board.  (She uses small ones all the time for her own little "To Do" lists!)  I fell in love with this bigger, wall mounted version! 



Sydney has 7 of these porcelain princess dolls that she's had for a LONG time.  She didn't want to get rid of them when we moved, but she was worried that they were too "Little Kid" for her new room.  I told her we just needed to get her some shelves, so they'd be up for display.  So she's been asking me for shelves for 3 year now...Better late than never, right?















Cinderella is (and always has been!) her favorite princess.  (Even when she was little, and I tried to convince her that Belle was the best.  Her determined little toddler mind would not be changed from loving this shoe-losing blond!)

We decided that she deserved a whole shelf just for her!



 Sydney took this picture of herself on her camera.  I think she's happy with her room.


What do you think?

3 comments:

Kelly Jean said...

Oh my goodness, you guys are the best parents! Every kid's DREAM -- walking into a newly remodeled (and furnished) room. AWESOME!! :)

And -- are Syd & I the same person? Loving Cinderella {"In my own little corner in my own little chair..."}... the "peace" pillow on her bed {I still have mine at our apartment}...!? Love it. Love her. Love YOU!

Rhoda said...

Very cute...love it!

Steph H said...

You guys did GREAT!! What fun parents! And what a fun giant room for that Syd-girl. Perfect blend of girl and teen :) Well done!