Thursday, December 1, 2011

Trying to catch up...

It's been a season of fun things that I need to catch you all up on.  I mean, I took a whole trip to Disneyland and didn't post even once about that, for crying out loud!  But this is not a post to catch you up.  I figure if I wait until I have the time to sit and do all those posts, it will be summer again!  So this is just a right now post.  :D 


We have been spending the day after Thanksgiving shopping now for as many years as I've known Lee!  It used to be a big thing that Anna did with Kendra, who was 12 at the time.  They would go through the ads on Thanksgiving, make a list, and then hit the stores early in the morning to score the "Free" items!  And Lee always tagged along! (Hey...back then, the promise of a tasty breakfast could get him every time!)  I've never been a huge shopper, but I do love people...especially family...and tradition, so there you have it.  It just stuck.  We only hit malls and regular stores at obscene hours the first few years.  For most of the 15 years, we've been grabbing Chick-Fil-A (Chicken Minis...Yummers!) and heading up the outlet stores at Park City.  (After all these years, I'm still not convinced of the deals, but it is nice to find all those stores all in one trip!  And let's not forget about the Mrs. Field's Cookie store!) 


This year was no exception...We met up with Anna and Ryan, and Ma and Pa McAlister, and we shopped.  Chad and Kendra were absent this year...They are excused because of her ready-to-burst belly, but next year, no excuses!  We missed them.  Going from store to store, laughing, and just enjoying adult time.  It's a nice break...we rarely get together without all our kids.  We sure do adore those cute little ones...But sometimes it's nice to have the chance to miss them just a little!  ;D!


We spent the Saturday after Thanksgiving putting out all our Christmas.  I love how the house looks all decked out.  That "Oh, I forgot about THIS decoration!" feeling, looking around at the different ornaments and decorations the kids have made for me over the years...It's just NICE!  I'm just delighted the season is here.  A chance to think of all the people I'm thankful for and find a little something special that will make their eyes light up, even just a little bit.

2 comments:

Kelly Jean said...

Love it! Sounds like such a fun time with everyone!! And amen about Christmas & the lovely decorations you sort of forget about.. ah, it's the BEST! Such a great season.

Cara said...

I didn't know you had a blog. I'm gonna add you to my friends list if you don't mind. I have one too, you'l have to check mine out. lukeandcara.blogspot.com