Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happy Birthday to my Big Girl!

Sydney turned 12 today! Can I just tell you, I am unprepared for her to seem so grown up? She's old enough to sit in the front seat of the car...she goes to Young Women...! Before I know it, she'll be dating and driving. **HOLY COW!!**

I thought that to mark such a special birthday, I should do something fun. We pulled up to the school and everyone got out of the car. I just put my hand on Syd's arm (easy to do, because now she sits up front by me...!) and waited until the back door shut. Then we took off...We were playing HOOKIE!!

First stop...Rhoda's house to drop off Michael. Totally not invited to our girl's day out! (Plus, he'd much rather play at Rhoda's house, 'cause she's so much cooler than me!) We went to the hair salon, and when she realized what we were doing, this is the look I got:



Sorry...I took THAT picture with my cell phone to send to dad! Not the best photo quality, but it captures her genuine excitement! She got to look through the color choices herself, and we did an all-over color, with highlights added in after that. (We did highlights once a couple of years ago, but the natural highlights totally blended with the NEW ones, and you couldn't even tell...We wanted to make sure you could tell this time!)

The stylist spent a long time on her hair, and it looked great! It was funny that she wouldn't let Syd see it while she was drying it, she made her wait until she was done for the "Big Reveal". So cute!

We finished there, and headed to the next stop, the Nail Salon, where I took this great shot to show off her cute new hair:

Both of Lee's sisters (who may not be cooler than me but are DEFINITELY girlier than me!) have taken my daughter to the "paint nail" store before for manicures. So when I told the manicurist that we wanted to put a set of nails ON, Syd sort of flipped! (She's bought and tried those "press on nail" types from the store I don't know how many times, and she's always disappointed with how they don't stay on! I thought it'd be fun to let her try the real thing once!) The woman doing her nails (who, by the way, was like 12 months pregnant...She was HUGE...I was just waiting for her water to break right there...!) found out that it was her birthday, and painted her a couple of flowers on her tips for free. So all decked out with fancy hair AND fancy sparkly nails...We...

Well, we headed back to school. I had one more thing planned, but Syd's teacher sent out an email telling us that the kids couldn't miss Nov 2nd because they were doing some testing that day. Seriously? -sigh- So after conferring with her teacher, I got the okay to take her...I just needed to make sure she was back in time for the test in the afternoon. (Actually, the teacher was so cute about it! She offered to make up an excuse to go have Sydney take the test in the morning so I could have her...She was very sweet!)

After school, I took all the kids with me and we went to Nordstroms for a make-up tutorial. (Yeah...The four other kids SO did not love that. Or the people at the make-up counter! She's been trying to wear make-up for years, (Kendra has passed down lots of fun old make-up Syd likes to play around with!) which, aside from the fact that she SO doesn't need it, I really don't mind it. But I thought she could benefit from someone other than her MOM telling her how to put it on, and how much is enough. They did a great job, and recommended just a few basics, especially for now.

Then the party at Grandma and Grandpa McAlisters! Syd picked her favorite meal: Steak...and shrimp...and baked potatoes...and salad! (I think she's the only grand kid to pick a whole MENU, not just the main dish! And it's funny she thinks to throw steak in, for those of us who think shrimp is...well, gross.)

We got her cake at "Nothing Bundt Cakes"...It was so moist and yummy! Plus, totally funked out for the lucky 12-year-old!

In this picure, Sydney is diplaying her exemplary manners as she inhales her cake off the plate. (Actually, I included this picture to show off her new shoes...like grown up shoes!)



Does she look like a teenager to anyone else here? Slighty sullen look on her face, (really, I think she is just super focused on the cake...) with those dang ear buds in?


Sydney's gift from the Richin's Family:



I love that Mia looks as excited about this present as Sydney does!


One of those very cool watches with cool bracelet like bands. I got one for my birthday back in September, and she's been so jealous of me ever since. Yep. I know that deep down, she just wants to be just like me.



See Kendra's face here? She's laughing because Grandma and Grandpa bought Sydney a bedazzler. Okay, it's not an actual bedazzler, but it does the same thing! But unlike Kendra, Syd doesn't think it's funny. She thinks it is awsome! She can't wait to make something all shiny!


This is her present from the Wright Family:

It's a 1-year subscription to Teen Vogue! In the front of the magazine was also a note specifying that mom gets to go through it first and take out things that are inappropriate, or use a sharpie to modify immodest clothes! I'm kind of excited...I've always aspired to be a fashion designer...!

Her last gift from Grandma and Grandpa:



They usually buy her clothes, but they wanted her to be able to shop on her own! They are far too generous! What amazing grandparents! We are so lucky to get to see them so often.


Do you love this priceless expression?!


I wanted to end with this poorly-taken picture, but I think it is so sweet!

We had finished opening up her presents before Dad had to leave for work (see how Syd's hair is done, but she's in her jammies? She was hoping for a new outfit, so she didn't get dressed!), and as he leaned over to kiss her goodbye, she leaned into him ever so slightly, and she's got this sweet smile on her face.


Ah...Here's hopin' she never thinks she's too cool to lean into a kiss goodbye from her daddy, or sit down for a snuggle with her mommy!

Happy Birthday, Sydney! We love you so much!

5 comments:

Rhoda said...

Oh wow, I didn't see all these posts under the latest one...I'm glad I checked! What a fun Halloween night...love the pumpkins and it was fun to hear the conclution of Syd's b-day! You are the best gift giver i have ever heard of, you really figure out a person, what they like/need/enjoy and you do everything you can to find/do something perfect...when I grow up I want to be like you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that cake was awwwwwsome! And...why didn't you tell me I was getting so bald...I mean, really? Look at how the dining roon table light is reflecting off my 5-head and blinding you as the photographer...sheesh.

Tiffany McAlister said...

Oh my sweet heart...You are hilarious! And at least if you go bald, only ONE of us will go gray!

Kelly Jean said...

That was the birthday of all birthdays!! Oh my, Tiff, you are such a fun mom! I love it!!! I want to be like you :) And goodness! Syd is so gorgeous!! What a beauty queen, all grown up with fancy nails & Vogue subscriptions! How fun!!

Kendra said...

Um... I accidentally erased my comment. It read, "I want some more bundt cake!"