Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Long time no post!

It's been a while...I haven't really had time for much. I've had a pretty full couple of weeks...fun, and fulfilling, but CRAZY!

Anna, my sister in law, invited me to make and sell some things at the fall boutique she was planning at her house. At first, I was thinking, seriously? The only craft I excel at starts with a "K"! But I thought, okay. That could be fun. Last year around Halloween my sister Heather and I made some wooden spoons she found in a magazine. We painted/decorated them to look like frankensteins and mummies. They turned out better than I had expected! So I decided to make and sell those, along with adding a pumpkin spoon.

During the same time frame, came the fire. And also, the Saturday after this boutique was a surprise birthday party for my mom. I was so very crazy busy I didn't even sit down the whole week. In fact, I had read "Hunger Games", and was about 500th in line for the 2nd book of the series and then Sydney told me she could borrow it and bring it home from her in class library. So she did...and I told her she wasn't allowed to give it to me until after Grandma's party! (Anyone who knows me knows how I get when I'm into a good book...Can you say "Ignore the world?")

Whew! All I can say it that I guess I'm glad it's over...and I've spent the last two days relaxing! (Mixed with laundry...I can't afford to let laundry for 7 ever pile up!) The boutique went well...I made a few sales. And it was fun! I'd even do it again!

As for mom's party, it was a riot! She was so surprised...and genuinely delighted, I think. We tried to put a lot of "Mom" into the party...We found an inflatable jukebox (because she's always wanted one, and a real one costs too much!), we used her fancy "pink lady" bowl (If you don't know, I can't really explain it.), we dug up old posters from when she was over the Activities Committee and hung them all over the church, and we set up a candy bar, but pulled all the orange candies out of the bowls (when we were kids we had to sacrifice the orange candy to mom, since they were her favorites.)

Lots of friends came, and the crowd was small enough that it gave her a chance to visit with them, yet there were enough people that it felt well attended. I'm glad we made the effort...it was worth every bit!

3 comments:

Kelly Jean said...

Whew, sounds like you've been busy! I wish I could've come to the party!! I was planning on it, but we didn't finish painting Bob's office until 1:30 :( Glad it went well though! And CUTE invites - so creative!!

Anonymous said...

I don't beleive you didn't relax! I know better. Love, Dad

Steph H said...

STILL so sad I had to miss the party :( Darn pukey babies. Did you guys take any pictures? If so I hope you post them. Sounds like it was awesome. And you should post a picture of your cute wooden spoons, I wanna see what they look like!