Monday, April 11, 2011

Dilema...

Last year, my sister-in-law Anna and I were talking about charter school, and she recommended one over near her...Providence Hall. She has been trying for a while to get in, and has had her kids on the wait list for a long time now, but no luck.


I was talking about how I am freaking out (just a little bit!) about Sydney starting Middle School next year. (Psychologically, I'm probably projecting. I can't think of a single happy memory from MY days in Middle School, and I am dreading the next three years for her...Although, she is WAY cooler than I ever was...of course, that's scary in it's own way, too, don't you think? (See? This is me, freaking out just little bit...Am I rambling?))


Sorry...I digress...Anna said that Providence Hall was starting a Middle School this year. So good in two ways...I'd feel like there would be a little bit more control over a smaller school population, and if I could get all 5 (5!...) kids enrolled I would have them all on the same school schedule, rather than the traditional/year-round split I'm looking at now. The down side: None of my kids think Charter School sounds fun. Sydney especially is not thrilled at the idea of uniforms and leaving her friends.


But I did it. I signed our kids up, and then waited for the lottery. We got word that Sydney had been accepted, but the other kids were "wait listed". After going back and forth for a while, we decided that maybe it would be better to keep her enthusiasm about school going in a positive direction, and since the schedules would be different if the rest of the kids were on year-round anyway, we'd let her go the her regular school.


Then a couple of weeks ago the school emailed me to see if I was still interested in having Sydney enrolled there. I explained the situation, and said that we weren't. She replied back, asking if the other kids made it in, would I have them all attend? I replied that I probably would, but given the "lottery style" drawing to fill slots, I didn't expect that was likely.


Then today, I got emails telling me the rest of the kids got in. WHAT?! So now I have to THINK some more about this. It seems like every time I make up my mind, something comes along and tries to change it again...!


What to do, What to do...

5 comments:

Rhoda said...

WHAT!!! You got into a charter school!!!! We've been trying and trying and we NEVER get in. The first time you try, you get in and now you're not sure if you want to go there!!!!! WHAT?!!! {sorry, bit jealous!! whew...it's over} You know you've gotta do what's best for your kids. I know Josh and Mily would do great in a charter, not so sure about Wes. Tough decision!!! {okay...still a little jealous}

Kelly Jean said...

Wow, quite the decision!! I always thought those schools looked kinda fun, in a way - but maybe that's just because I live vicariously through movies here & there ;) Wish I had some good advice for you! I don't know the pros & cons well enough... I'm sure whatever you decide will be a great decision!

Anonymous said...

I think you need to put them all in the charter
school. Sydney will get use to it. I think public schools are going the wrong way and I want our grandkids to have the best. I think it
will work better now that they all have been selected. It is always hard to transfer but now
that Sydney is starting middle school it won't be that hard. (sorry Syd) Love, Dad

Me said...

I've been sneaking peaks at your blog for a while now. Happened upon it and found your stories funny. Hope you don't mind my reading.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate of sorts here. I honestly disclose that I am not a fan of Charter Schools. I taught in South Jordan for years and saw the "results" of charter schools--and really, was never impressed.

But--this would be my thoughts, if I was the "parent". I would be quite concerned, considering the make-up of your family (which is awesome), with HOW the school has seemed to approach the "lottery" here, that the school was using my family and children for their advantage.

Charter schools in and out of UT have been under fire for NOT following the legal lottery rules and policies which they are supposed to follow in order to receive public funds, to put a better "face" on their schools. They've also been under fire for segregating students---as many "suburban" charter schools throughout the country have acceptance numbers that are drastically different than the numbers of the public schools around them. Meaning, "suburban" Charters are more likely to have fewer students of different races and ethnicities than caucasian, and are less likely to accept students with other forms of diversity, such as disabilities. UT Charters have been trying to "look" better for about the last 2 years, because the "media" uncovered such practices within their schools and published about it in the local newspapers (except for specific charters that had "diversity" as part of their charter--and actually followed it, but the news article I read about it found about 3 schools throughout the state of UT that actually were "diverse")

So, I would be REALLY concerned, since there are many families who have been trying to get just one child into the charter that all of your kids got into "over-night", that the charter is trying to use my kids to improve their "look"--especially considering they called and asked if you would be more likely to have your kids come, if ALL of your kids were accepted, and then "miraculously" they all were? That would really concern me--are they truly following the lottery policy they're supposed to in order to receive public funding? Or, are they really just trying to improve the school's "look".

Also, I've seen test scores for the majority of Charters in the state of UT, compared to schools throughout the state, and especially within the geographical area you live in. The test scores are really not different. Charters claim their test scores are better, but when looked at statistically there have been no real differences.

Again--I'm not a fan of charters. I believe thousands of children actually receive a great education in general public schools everyday. Plus, if my child didn't want to leave their friends, and didn't really like the idea at all, I probably wouldn't go for it--if only to avoid decreasing the child's interest in school right at the entrance of middle school (I do have good memories from middle school--plus I worked in one on the side of the "valley" you're on, and saw great things happening in schools). I know, for example, my mother offered the option of being placed in the district's "gifted" program to my younger sister at entrance to middle school--and let her choose. My sister chose not to go--a. cause she didn't want increased homework--even though she was in all honor classes and worked very hard in middle school and b. cause she didn't want to not be close to her friends, which is so important at that age.

So--those are my 2 cents. Forgive me for commenting--but those would be my concerns if in your situation...

Mary P.

Me said...

P.S. I'm Mary P., Sarah P.'s younger sister from WJHS