Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Surprise...

I took Michael to the pediatrician yesterday for a check-up. While we were there, I asked if I had come in to do his Kindergarten appointment...Bad mom, couldn't remember! Anyway, she said that no, I hadn't, but do I want to just do it now? I told her I didn't want to throw off her schedule, and that I would just make an appointment. But my fabulous pediatrician wouldn't hear of it! She said, "You're already here, let's just do it now!"

The down side: Spencer had been teasing Michael ALL DAY about how he was going to have to get shots at the doctor, and I had spent the whole day reassuring him that, no...today was just a check up, don't worry about it.

When I turned and asked Michael if we could get his shots today instead of coming back, he looked at me and sighed, then said, "Okay." But as soon as I reminded him that getting shots earns a toy AND a sticker, he brightened up.

(We waited for the nurse to get his shots...it took about 5 minutes. While we waited, Michael kept pinching himself on the arms to "check if it was going to hurt".) He was a trooper! He took them like a champ...Then came home and gloated to the big kids that mom stopped and let him get a drink at the gas station! :D

2 comments:

Rhoda said...

Seriously, they are suppose to remember when the shots are. not the mom! (go with me on this one--cause I do the same thing!!) I love that he was pinching himself to check if it was going to hurt...hahah that's great. Wait, kindergarten shots...why does that surprise me EVERY time I hear it! And bonus points for mom! ...letting him have a drink at the gas station, you're nice! The most I give my kids is some tylenol!

Steph H said...

Such a great kid. I hate getting shots and I hate when my kids have to get shots. Good idea with a treat to make up for it. I may have to reward myself next time.