Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Field Trip Fun...

Can I just say, field trips is one of my favorite things about having kids in school? I love when I get to go! In all the years of field trips, I've only ever missed one. (I didn't get my note in early enough, and they picked other parents...Rude!) It's a fun way to get to know the kids in my kids classes, and to see the teachers and visit with them a little outside of the classroom setting!
Yesterday I loaded up on the buses with Sydney's 6th Grade class. We headed downtown to visit the Clark Planetarium. Mrs. Herrscher (her teacher!) and I were talking about how she was kind of nervous. She'd never run field trip before; someone else was always in charge. We got to listen to/watch a 45 minute lesson about stars, constellations, and phases of the moon. After that was over, we had time to wander around (the kids enjoyed walking around on the "moon" and "mars"!) and look at everything. Lots to touch and look at...Great way to captivate even ME! Then we watched the Hubble 3D Imax movie that is playing down there. That was pretty cool, too!
Just to tell you how grown up THESE kids are, one of their lunch choices (besides bring one from home or have the school pack you one) was to bring money and buy your lunch at the food court down there. It was fun to watch...Lots of kids would buy part of their lunch at one place, something else at a second, and a dessert at a third! :D Couldn't make up their minds, what with all that money burning little holes in their pockets!
We hopped back on the bus at about 1:50, and as we sat down the teacher said, "Now we can call it a success!" But we didn't get back to the school until 3:20. Why, you ask? We had a little bus trouble...It just plain wouldn't go anywhere. So here we are, sitting in the emergency lane on the freeway (!!) for a good hour waiting to be rescued. Luckily, Sydney still thinks I'm cool enough to sit by her and her friends, so I wasn't too bored! We played "I Spy" and I picked topics and made them talk non-stop for a full minute without stopping or saying "Um...". (Syd's friend Caitlyn has three cute little feather extensions in her hair, blue, yellow, and red. Syd "spied" something blue...and Caitlyn guessed forever and finally gave up...and Syd tells her, "Your feather." Then the next time it was Syd's turn she "spied" something yellow. Again, Caitlyn guessed and guessed, then gave up...again, Syd said, "Your feather." Not sure why, but that made me laugh REALLY hard! :D
So we did eventually make it back to the school, after walking from one bus to the other right there in the emergency lane! And frankly, I would STILL call it a success! I'm glad I was there...What a great memory!

2 comments:

Kelly Jean said...

Oooh, field trips are the best!! Scary/cool/adventurous about the bus! Funny about the feather (I'm laughing just thinking about it!)

And too bad I didn't know you guys were at the Planetarium - I would've come to visit!!! I wander the Gateway during my lunch break practically everyday! But yesterday I didn't know what to do, so I ended up falling asleep in my car, haha. Dang - the ONE day... :)

Steph H said...

You're such a fun mom! I love that you want to go and be a part of your kids' lives. Although, I have to agree, I think it sounds really fun too!