Thursday, June 3, 2010

Graduation...

I got to go to Cody's graduation last night. It was really neat...and very strange to think of my mom without any kids in school!

I was sitting there, thinking back to my own graduation 17 (What?! How did I get so OLD?!) years ago. I remember that it seemed to go FOREVER. I remember the choir sang (but I don't remember what!). I remember standing next to my first best friend singing, and she kept reaching over to hold my hand. I kept slapping it away, and she kept reaching over during the song. By the end of the song we were just giggling! But that's kind of it. I remember being wistful, feeling like I was going to miss it so much! And sometimes, I do. But I came across this song, and I really liked how it expressed the way things change. He wants to write a letter to his 17-year-old self to give advice. The end of his "letter" says:

"You got so much up ahead
You'll make new friends
You should see your kids and wife
And I'll end by saying have no fear,
these are no where near
The best years of your life."

Yep. As much as I loved high school, the phase of life I'm in now is so much better than that! I love my husband, my children, relating to my siblings as adults;

I think THESE are the best years of my life!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Gosh I really love Brad Paisley's music! It's true....high school seems like it's the center of the universe but there are MUCH better things up ahead.

Kelly Jean said...

I love that! I read/heard something once that said we should have the attitude as if the best is yet to come. I love that, because it keeps you hoping and looking forward to the future... or helps you get through the occasional mundane day. You're so positive & are always so much fun! I love it.

Steph H said...

Amen!!