Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pondering a Birthday...

I spent a lot of yesterday in quiet reflection. Yesterday was my dad's birthday. I miss my dad, but not in a sad, depressed way. I miss him because I think of how much he would have LOVED the phases of life we are all in! The joy in watching Cody grow up, excitement at his graduation this week. How proud he'd have been of Shawn for serving a mission. Delight in watching Jennie and Heather excel at jobs they love, and his pride at watching them take the stage for performances. Shawn and I getting married...How much he'd love his son and daughter in law! Welcoming grandchildren...He'd have been a fun, silly grandpa! (I can picture him trying to teach my kids to do handstands, or how to juggle...Or maybe the Neutron Dance?...)

Then I started to smile...I was remembering some of the little "smile thoughts" from my own past with him:

-Scratchy fingers on church socks
-That black fuzzy coat...with the Velcro rubber chicken in it!...from "Carnival"
-Dad calling us home from across the whole neighborhood with his loud whistle
-The Magic Show
-My parents talking baby talk to each other
-Singing too loud and not watching the signs
-Him getting home from work early and sitting down with us to play Nintendo...Until he saw it was almost time for mom to come home!...then he'd turn it off and we'd all scramble to clean up and start dinner for mom.
-Thinking "Dusty" was a better nickname for him than "Rusty" because he'd come home from work with so much dust in his hair and on his clothes.
-How proud he was of his perfectly even shed floor
-His crooked finished room in the basement of the old house

Anyway, I regret that my kids and husband can't know this GREAT man while we are on this earth, but I am grateful for a plan that lets us all play together forever after!

Love you, Dad...happy belated birthday! :D
.

3 comments:

Rhoda said...

So did you go to the cemetary yesterday too? I laughed when I saw that every flower was the same color (even the ones we brought!) I was talking to your mom late last night and without telling her what color they all were, she guessed...it was a rusty orange color! Never put that together...does that happen every year? I love hearing about your dad, it helps me get to know him better. Thanks for sharing!

Kelly Jean said...

This is so sweet, Tiff. :) I love hearing about your dad, too. Makes me so grateful for the Plan of Salvation. Love you!!

Steph H said...

What a beautiful post. What a great man he is. I miss him too. He was so funny and so playful. He never felt like an uncle, he just felt like an older cousin. My dad talks all the time about how much he misses him because he related to him so well and felt such a camradarie with him in the family. I can only imagine what an awesome grandpa he would've been. Can't wait to see it someday!